Medical Detection Dogs works in partnership with researchers, NHS Trusts and universities to train specialist dogs to detect the odour of human disease.
The charity was co-founded in 2008 by a team including Dr Claire Guest, a scientist and animal behaviour expert, and Dr John Church, a former orthopaedic surgeon.
It has two main arms: Bio Detection Dogs and Medical Assistance Dogs:
Bio Detection Dogs are trained predominantly to detect the odour of cancer. Their highly sensitive noses can pick up the smell of cancer volatiles in urine or breath samples. The technology has the potential to provide second line testing for cancers that are currently difficult to diagnose reliably, such as prostate cancer.
Medical Assistance Dogs are trained to assist individuals who manage complex medical conditions, such as diabetes, on a day-to-day basis. The dogs are taught to identify the odour changes that are associated with certain medical events, such as a drop in blood sugar level. There are currently over 80 dogs partnered across the UK and with more funding this number will increase.
The charity receives no government funding and relies entirely on charitable donations.
Join #MDDchallenge and we will look after you every step of the way, from the early days of training right through to race day. You will receive regular newsletters, training tips and support with your fundraising efforts.
Join #MDDchallenge today!
To find out more about joining #MDDchallenge please contact us on 01296 711217 or by emailing [email protected]
You can only apply to one Affiliate Charity at a time. For further information on how the Charity Entry process works please see our FAQs.
Please click on the event you would like to participate in:
2022 Edinburgh Marathon Festival
- 2022 Edinburgh Marathon >
- 2022 Edinburgh Half Marathon >
- 2022 EMF Hairy Haggis Team Relay >
- 2022 EMF 10k >
- 2022 EMF 5k >
- 2022 EMF Junior 5K >
- 2022 EMF 2K Junior Race 1 >
- 2022 EMF 2K Junior Race 2 >
- 2022 EMF 1.5K Junior Race 1 >
- 2022 EMF 1.5K Junior Race 2 >
- 2022 EMF Kids Kilometre >
2021 Virtual Edinburgh Marathon Festival
- 2021 Edinburgh Marathon Virtual Challenge >
- 2021 Edinburgh Half Marathon Virtual Challenge >
- 2021 EMF Hairy Haggis Team Relay Virtual Challenge >
- 2021 EMF 10k Virtual Challenge >
- 2021 EMF 5k Virtual Challenge >
- 2021 EMF Junior 5k Virtual Challenge >
- 2021 EMF Junior 2K Virtual Challenge >
- 2021 EMF Junior 1.5K Virtual Challenge >
- 2021 EMF Kids Kilometre Virtual Challenge >
If you already have your Own Entry, you can pledge to fundraise for Medical Detection Dogs via your My Details account.
Simply log in and click on the link next to your entry.