Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) exists to find the cure for type 1 diabetes and its complications, and is the world's largest charitable funder of type 1 diabetes research. It was founded by a small group of parents of children with type 1 diabetes who recognised that insulin injections are not the cure for this life threatening and lifelong condition.
Type 1 diabetes is a chronic, life threatening condition which has a life-long impact on those diagnosed with it and their families. It normally strikes children and stays with them for the rest of their lives. More than 27,000 people in Scotland live with type 1 diabetes, one of the highest incidences of the condition in the world. This is increasing by about four per cent each year, particularly in children under five, so it is vital that further funds are raised to help JDRF take the final steps towards the cure.
Our ultimate goal is to find the cure and we do this by funding research. JDRF has funded projects across the UK, including a recent study based locally at the University of Aberdeen. This project, led by Professor Kevin Docherty, looked at turning stem cells into insulin producing beta cells. Finding the cure for type 1 diabetes is only a matter of time and funds.
We recognise the challenges of living with type 1 diabetes and advocate to ensure that the condition is fully understood. We also provide information for families affected by the condition and encourage them to become directly involved in supporting research for the cure.
Join us in finding the cure.
You can only apply to one Affiliate Charity at a time. For further information on how the Charity Entry process works please see our FAQs.
Please click on the event you would like to participate in:
2022 Edinburgh Marathon Festival
- 2022 Edinburgh Marathon >
- 2022 Edinburgh Half Marathon >
- 2022 EMF Hairy Haggis Team Relay >
- 2022 EMF 10k >
- 2022 EMF 5k >
- 2022 EMF Junior 5K >
- 2022 EMF 2K Junior Race 1 >
- 2022 EMF 2K Junior Race 2 >
- 2022 EMF 1.5K Junior Race 1 >
- 2022 EMF 1.5K Junior Race 2 >
- 2022 EMF Kids Kilometre >
2021 Virtual Edinburgh Marathon Festival
- 2021 Edinburgh Marathon Virtual Challenge >
- 2021 Edinburgh Half Marathon Virtual Challenge >
- 2021 EMF Hairy Haggis Team Relay Virtual Challenge >
- 2021 EMF 10k Virtual Challenge >
- 2021 EMF 5k Virtual Challenge >
- 2021 EMF Junior 5k Virtual Challenge >
- 2021 EMF Junior 2K Virtual Challenge >
- 2021 EMF Junior 1.5K Virtual Challenge >
- 2021 EMF Kids Kilometre Virtual Challenge >
If you already have your Own Entry, you can pledge to fundraise for JDRF via your My Details account.
Simply log in and click on the link next to your entry.